Film recipe: Kodak Pro Prn 100 + D76

Header

Recipe: Kodak Pro Prn 100 + D76
Developer: Kodak D76
  • Dilution: Stock
  • Time: 10:00
  • Temperature: 20C, 68F
  • Agitations: 60 seconds, then two rotations every minute
Stop
  • Kodak Stop Bath
  • Time: 1:00
Fix
  • Ilford Rapid Fixer
  • Time: 3:00
Notes
  • This film expired in 1996, so I pushed it 2 stops (shot at EI400). Since it's a C41 film and I was developing in black and white, I used the dev times for TMax 100.

Savannah

I bought my Bronica ETRSi off of Craigslist about a year ago from a woman who lived an hour away. After a few days of texting back and forth we finally agreed on a time and place to meet. When we met there was something off about the seller. I couldn’t place my finger on it but she didn’t seem to know much about the camera and just wanted to get to her money and leave. I paid $50 for the camera, a 120 back, a 75mm lens, a 150mm lens, a Polaroid back, and a bag. She also threw in a Minolta SRT-201 –that didn’t work– with a 28mm lens just to sweeten the deal.

I ended up buying it but the way she acted never sat right with me. I became more and more convinced that she had stolen the camera, which explained why she had sold it so cheaply. After about a week my conscience got the best of me and I contacted her, thanking her for the deal, and asked a question about the Polaroid back. She responded that she didn’t actually know much about the camera, that it has been her ex-husbands and she was just getting rid of it before she moved to a different state.

I felt better about everything; the camera wasn’t stolen, it was just a momento of a broken marriage. He hadn’t taken the camera with him, and she hadn’t touched it in over twenty years. My conscience was clear and now I had a decent medium format camera that had been neglected since I was in high school.

At the playground

When I got home from buying it, I took everything out of the bag and did a quick cleaning. There were some additional items that she hadn’t mentioned: some UV filters, a nice speed grip for the Bronica, and a couple of old rolls of film. At the time I was only shooting 35mm so it was nice to be able to get into 120mm right away.

Both rolls were Kodak Pro Prn that had expired in lat 90s. I loaded the first roll in tried to learn how to shoot with my new camera. Within a few days I had taken 12 shots so I loaded in the second roll, this time a bit more confident. I had the second roll developed and scanned professionally at The Find Lab; the results were better than I had expected. (You can see my favorite two shots here.) The other roll, the one you’re looking at, sat in my bag for another six months.

Tree

With my first cross-processing experiment somewhat of a success, I decided to finally develop this roll, the first I had ever shot on a medium format camera. I didn’t know where to start, so I went to the Massive Dev Chart and looked for ISO 100 Kodak film, and saw TMax 100. From there I just used the times for developing TMax at 400 and added another 30 seconds. I probably should have added another minute, a lot of the blacks are completely crushed, but hindsight is always 20/20.

The results aren’t great; they’re not even that good. I think there’s maybe one photo on the whole roll that I actually like. But it was an experiment, it was my first roll shot on a new camera, and only the third roll I’ve developed. I’m still learning.

Cocoa